Thursday, April 2, 2009

April 2, 2009 question - Fools Rush Away

What, You're Too Good for April Fools?
Seriously, what's up with that, trivia dude?

Why didn't I pull some kind of trivial April Fools joke? I'll tell you why. Because I may play it silly every once in awhile. Maybe I lay on the sarcasm here and there. I have been known, on occasion, to play tricks and pranks and other assorted high jinks on my very own trivia family (yes, you are all like second cousins and thrice-removed half aunts and uncles to me . . . and, yes, even those of you who are my real-life siblings). So how could I complain about a lack of any relevant inspiration from the current events of the day when the most obvious calendrical muse was staring me right in the face (or at the very least the profile) the entire time?

Because, my friends, trivia may be a lot of things, but it is not the stuff of fools. For the sake of my personal integrity, nay, the sake of trivial integrity, I refused to base an entire day's rant around an observation that derives its very nature from the lack of knowledge. Trivia is the constant search for knowledge, however far removed from the land of the practical. I will not, and I pray none of you will either, compromise that for the sake of a thematic intro.

Also, I totally forgot.

Today's Question
Music

What immortal musical question was asked on the 1971 single that had "Hey Tonight" as its B-side?

Yesterday's Answer
And the people who knew it

The first Cricket World Cup was played in 1975 and I was genuinely impressed at how close almost all of your guesses were, given the sport's long history. But I'm most impressed by Kyle and Charles who got it exactly right. So on their behalf, I offer up this bonus trivia tidbit. When an umpire makes a call on the basepaths in baseball, his choices are essentially out or safe. In cricket, the options are out or not out. Awesome.

No comments: